We are currently seeking high-quality, novel-length fantasy submissions from new and established Canadian authors. We’re particularly interested in trope-bending and formula-breaking urban fantasy, romantic urban fantasy, and plot-heavy paranormal romance. We’ll consider almost any manuscript under the fantasy umbrella (post-apocalyptic fantasy, dark fantasy, humorous fantasy, etc.)
We especially enjoy:
- Unique takes on magic systems, preternatural beings, and common fantasy conventions
- Solid, immersive world-building
- Dynamic lead characters with realism and depth
- Adventure, excitement, and high-tension plots
- Engaging romance subplots
- A sprinkle (or heavy dose) of humor
- Series or strong series potential
We are not interested in:
- Manuscripts that are not fantasy
- Erotica or sex-heavy romance plots/subplots
- Fated mates, insta-love, or omegaverse
We’re accepting electronic submissions for completed, revised manuscripts only. Please make sure to send us your best work.
Please submit the following to info[at]darkowlfantasy.com with a subject line of SUBMISSION: Your Book’s Title:
- A query/cover letter in the body of the email introducing yourself, your writing history, and your book. Please include your book’s title, word count, genre, and whether it is a simultaneous submission. We’ll also need your name, address, telephone number, and email address.
- A ~1,000 word synopsis of the story, formatted in double-spaced, size 12 Times New Roman font. Word doc, docx, or pdf only.
- The first three chapters of the manuscript, formatted in double-spaced, size 12 Times New Roman font. Word doc, docx, or pdf only. You may also include the prologue, if applicable.
Do not submit your full manuscript unless we request it. Incorrect or incomplete submissions will be rejected.
Thank you for your interest in working with Dark Owl Fantasy!